11 Things You Should (and SHOULDN’T!) Do During a New Moon
Every month the Universe gives us a little present that can be easy to miss. In fact, some may even call this gift “hidden,” as it’s mostly invisible from the Earth for a few hours. This lovely present is called the new moon and it happens every 28-30 days.
In astrological terms, the new moon is when the sun and the moon conjunct or meet at the same degree in the heavens. It’s also the beginning of a new lunar cycle, and most importantly, the beginning of some new changes for you! It’s almost as if the universe gives us a few days to not only reflect on our soul trajectory, but also to reassess, course correct, and push on.
Interestingly enough, most people are unconsciously aligned with this energy, tending to create and start new habits, projects and changes in their life around the monthly new moon. That’s cool. What’s even cooler is when you consciously start taking that energy to the next level. And you’re in luck, because we have the top seven things you can do during the new moon each month, as well as four things you should try to avoid. With this knowledge in hand, you can go out and make the most of this glorious period. Make it happen!
~*~7 Things to Do During a New Moon~*~
- Make Your Own Ritual.
If you’re thinking of salt circles and witches over a cauldron, just remember that although these type of ritual exists, that’s not what we’re talking about here. Well, unless you want it to be. Making your own ritual is simply creating a set of practices or habits that you commit to doing during every new moon. It could be as simple as meditating, doing a yoga class, or writing a list. It can even be as elaborate as creating a space, making a crystal grid, taking a cleanse bath, and smudging your entire apartment. Whatever it is, make sure it incorporates taking a pause around each month’s new moon to reflect and plant a few seeds of intention. We all need to pause in life. Sometimes things start moving quickly, your schedule is so busy that you look up and it’s month later. Taking consistent pauses helps to avoid venturing too far down a path that’s not in tune with your heart. Use the new moon as a reminder to stop, access, and maneuver to your dreams.
- Light A Candle.
Or bring some light into your life. The practice of lighting candles and charging them with intentions goes back thousands of years. Lighting a candle on the darkest night of the month signifies our desire to bring just a little more light into our lives. Ask the universe to shine light into your life on this new moon and all the ones that follow it, then allow your candle to burn out on its own. If you want to take it to the next level, charge your candle with an intention you wish to manifest during this moon cycle. You can do this by holding the candle, summoning feelings of gratitude and love, and asking the universe for what it is you want to pull to you. Light the candle and allow it burn out on its own.
- Set A Worthwhile Intention.
Every month we are so fortunate to be given an extra boost of intention setting energy with the new moon. Why not use it to really focus on one or two intentions that you’re passionate about? Take some time and craft out intentions that are clear, concise, and as specific as you can. An example of this is: “obtain a new job that brings me passion with a higher salary than I have now.” This intention is clear and specific. It shows the universe that you value salary and excitement in your next career step. Another example is: “pass the bar exam on my next try.” This tells the universe what you wish to do and the timeline you would like for it to happen.
- Start Something New. The new moon is the most fertile day of the moon phase cycle each month. If there was the perfect time for initiating any new action it would the the new moon! Start that new class; apply for that job; ask her out on a date. Start anything and everything you feel passionate about!
- Have a First Date. Speaking if starting something new, a first date is a wonderful activity for a new moon. The energy is brimming with possibility and you have the chance to plant the seeds for a new relationship. (And if given the choice between the day before the new moon and the day after, pick the day after every time!)
- Make A List. Remember those intentions we talked about earlier? Well if you want to super magnify them, then make a whole list of all the details you wish the universe to consider when bringing you your heart’s desire. Say your intention was to find a new job, well let’s get into the details. Where will your office be? What we your hours like? Who is your boss? What types of projects do you work on? The same goes for love. What type of relationship do you want? What do you do with your partner for fun? Make it as detailed as you can. The idea is to create an image in your mind of what this new situation will look like when you get there, the universe will strive to give you as close to that as possible.
- Create a Sacred Space. The new moon is the optimal time for setting a sacred space in your home to make your own magic. Clean and cleanse the energy of a place where you want to do your manifestation, meditation, self reflection, and even set up an altar. This will be a place where you keep all the junk of the world away from. It’s the place where you will commune with the universe and dream your biggest. In time, when you enter that space, your body and mind will know it’s time to make magic. Make sure after you’ve set it up, you keep it clean and tidy throughout the month, no bad vibes over there. Also don’t forget to spend a bit of time with your affirmations and intentions there as well.
Read This Now: 10 Things You Should (and Shouldn’t!) Do During a Full Moon
~*~4 Things NOT to Do During a New Moon~*~
- Quit Something You Care About. A new moon is about creating! Of course ,sometimes you must let go of habits, people, and situations that no longer suit your highest good. However, deciding to give up on anything you truly care about (within reason) on a new moon is a waste of energy. What you can do instead is find a new approach by assessing what isn’t working and compare it to what is working!
- Avoid Meeting New People. New moons are notorious for bringing people into our lives. Often these newcomers bring us lessons our soul craves. Don’t miss out on these. When you encounter someone different or outside of your usual type during a new moon, be open and curious. Try to learn about them. They might just be another piece of your mirror.
- Say No to Impromptu Invites. Speaking of meeting new folks, a new moon is a great time to get out of the house! Since a new moon is great for meeting new people, this is why you should say yes to any random invites that come your way. How else would you meet new faces? Try to avoid saying no when a good friend invited you to something random and out of the blue, especially when it’s on a new moon!
- Spend Time with Energy Drains. This is a no no in general, but can’t always be avoided. However, new moon energy is incredibly special, so this is the one day a month that energy drains should be shunned. You want as much positive and creative energy as you can muster so that you set intentions that are vibrationally high. Energy drains contradict this. They put you in a low vibe mindset and which can inadvertently affect your ability to manifest and what you manifest. Simply said, don’t let others kill your vibe!
Shereen Campbell is an astrologer, ecommerce manager, and the founder of My Little Magic Shop. She loves sailing, southern Italian food, and all things magical.
Photo: @JulieK via Twenty20