The way to a Capricorn's heart? This dish will make their tummy happy and their heart open to new adventures with you!
Quinoa Risotto with Lemon and Roasted Vegetables (serves 4 - cut in half for no leftovers)
1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed
1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 whole canned Italian tomatoes, drained and halved lengthwise
1/2 cup of one of the following (or a mix), cut into bite-sized pieces: mushrooms, asparagus, red bell pepper
1 large shallot or 1 small white onion, finely chopped
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1/4 cup crème fraîche, plus more for garnish
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375°. In a saucepan, bring the quinoa with 2 1/2 cups of water and a large pinch of salt to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, 20 minutes. Let stand covered for 15 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix the panko with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of the rosemary, half of the garlic and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Arrange the tomatoes and vegetables cut side up on a rimmed baking sheet and top with the panko. Bake for 25 minutes, until the crumbs are lightly browned and the tomatoes are softened; keep warm.
3. Peel the lemon, being sure to remove all of the bitter white pith. Working over a bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the sections. Cut the lemon sections into 1/4-inch pieces.
4. In a medium saucepan, heat the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil until shimmering. Add the shallot and remaining garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of rosemary and cook for 1 minute.
5. Stir in the quinoa and stock and bring just to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat, stirring, until the quinoa is suspended in a thickened sauce, about 5 minutes. Stir in the 1/4 cup of crème fraîche, lemon zest, lemon sections and 1/3 cup of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the risotto into bowls, top with the tomatoes and vegetables and garnish with crème fraîche, grated cheese and chopped parsley; serve.
Recipe adapted from Chef Ricardo Zarate (Food & Wine magazine)